WHAT TO DO IN VAL THORENS THIS WINTER?
VAL THORENS WELCOMES YOU THIS WINTER
Despite the closure of the ski lifts, come and enjoy the great outdoors in Val Tho!
On this page you will find all the information relating to your stay: accommodation, restaurants and shops open as well as outdoor activities accessible in compliance with health regulations.
THE SKI LIFTS
The ski lifts are currently closed to skiers and pedestrians.
During the winter holidays, the ski lifts will be closed to skiers and pedestrians, with the exception of our magic carpets : the Castor and Pollux carpets (Place Caron), Musaraigne and Campagnols.
These carpets will be open every day from February 6th to March 6th from 10 am to 5 pm.
Our magic carpets will be accessible to skiers and pedestrians.
We will keep you informed of the situation on this page, on our Covid-19 page, as well as on our social networks.
We are ready to open our ski area as soon possible, while respecting the sanitary conditions.
Trail map (pedestrians, snowshoes, mountain bikes, ski touring and cross-country skiing), map of the resort and activities
The activities to be practised independently:
- Ski touring: two ski touring trails are marked and groomed. Open every day from 9 am to 4.45 pm, depending on the weather conditions.
- Col : a 4.8 km, 820m d+ ski touring trail is marked and groomed with a start at the Rond-Point des Pistes at 2280m and an arrival at 3100m at the top of the Col chairlift. The ascent is via the green slope “Combe de Thorens”, the blue slope “Génépi” and then the red slope “Col”. The descent is via three groomed and secured slopes: Col (red slope), Moraine (blue slope) then Combe de Thorens (green slope).
- Pluviomètre (from february 6th) : a 3 km, 450m d+ ski touring trail is marked and groomed with a start at the fire station – Cairn gondola lift at 2290m and an arrival at 2740m. The ascent is via the blue slope “Traversée de montaulever” then the blue slope “Pluviomètre”. The descent is via two groomed and secured slopes: Chardons (red slope) then Plein Sud (blue slope).
- Cross-country skiing: a 6 km round trip cross-country ski trail is marked out at the start of the Hotel Alberta via the Flocon (green slope), Traversée des 2 Lacs (green slope) and Linotte (blue slope) trails to the start of the “Plateau” ski lift. See the route.
- Tobogganing: 3 toboggan runs will be accessible. The Castor and Pollux magic carpets are open every day from 10 am to 5 pm.
- La piste aux étoiles, starting from Place Caron (along the Castor et Pollux magic carpet)
- La piste des plus grands, starting from Place Caron (along the Castor et Pollux magic carpet)
- L’Espace neige du téléphérique (Place Caron)
- Mountain biking: La Montagnette trail will be accessible to mountain bikes.
- Snowshoes: our footpaths (see below) are authorised for snowshoes
- Footpaths: our 4 footpaths are accessible on foot or with snowshoes.
- La Montagnette (starting from Les Balcons district)
- La Marine (from Rond-Point des Pistes)
- La Moutière (from Rond-Point des Pistes)
- Les 2 Lacs (from Rond-Point des Pistes)
Supervised activities (from February 6th to March 7th):
- Ski touring: initiations and ski touring outings are proposed by La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne, Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville, Caroline Vincent and Prosneige, ESF, Evolution 2, Ski Cool, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Cross-country skiing: courses are proposed by La Maison des Guides et de la Montagne and by ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- High Mountain: off-piste ski outings are proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville, La Maison des Guides et de la Montagne and Oxygène.
- Snowshoe outings: proposed by Raquette Nature, La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne and by Prosneige, ESF, Evolution 2, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Snowmobile: activity proposed by Valtho Motoneige. Every day from 1 pm to 6 pm. More information here.
- Splitboard: private lessons proposed by the ski schools Ski Cool, ESI Ski Family and Oxygène.
- Pow Surf Initiation: private lessons proposed by Ski Cool.
- Children’s and beginners’ ski lessons: proposed by the Prosneige, ESF, Evolution 2, Ski Cool, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Children’s and beginners’ snowboard lessons: proposed by ESF, Evolution 2, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family, Ski Cool, Prosneige and Val Thorens Ski Instructor.
- Telemark: group or private lessons proposed by Oxygène and Ski Cool.
- Skating rink: the skating rink is open every day from 10 am to 12 pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm. More information here. Activity from 3 years old.
- Ice driving: karting, buggy and ice driving are proposed on the Alain Prost ice circuit. Open every day from 9 am to 5 pm. Activities’ price here.
- Avalanche Victim Search Workshop: activity proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville (location: Rond-Point des Pistes. You must have your own equipment), La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne (equipment provided), Ski Cool and Oxygène.
- Nivology training: activity proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville and Oxygène ski school.
- Sled dogs: activity proposed by Evolution 2, from 2 years old (from Monday to Friday)
- Electric mountain bike ride: activity proposed by Evolution 2
- Paragliding: activity proposed by Oxygène
- Ice climbing: activity proposed by Evolution 2, Oxygène, ESF, La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne and Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville.
- Apnea under ice: activity proposed by Evolution 2
- Well-being: home massages proposed by Zen Altitude, Escale Zen and Caroline Vincent; Yoga and meditative walking proposed by Escale Zen; traditional Chinese energy treatment, Gi Gong, energy harmonisation and foot reflexology proposed by Caroline Vincent.
- Airbag: activity proposed by Prosneige (from 13 years old). The airbag is open from Sunday to Friday from 12 noon to 4pm. Price: 15€ per afternoon (unlimited access). Helmet mandatory, limited places, reservation and payment in advance at the ski school or Prosneige ski shop (no payment on site).
- Igloo building workshop: activity proposed by Prosneige
- Children’s adventure course: course proposed by Evolution 2
- Children’s club: proposed by Prosneige (igloo building, sliding challenge, laser rifle shooting, snowshoe orienteering, DVA research, Olympics).
- Toboggan race: activity for children proposed by Ski Cool
- Initiation to freestyle skiing: activity proposed by Ski Cool
- Treasure hunt: activity for children proposed by Ski Cool
- Snow groomer ride: Wednesdays at 10am, 1pm and 3pm. 1 hour of snow groomer ride (circuit according to weather conditions). Reservation required at the Tourist Office before Monday 4pm. 10 places per rotation. Adult rate 38€, child (under 12 years old) 30€. Departure from the Chalet du Cosmojet.
Experiences of the Val Thorens Club
Visit Justine and Edouard at the Val Thorens Club place Caron, tell them what you want to do to make your stay a delightful one! Loan of the latest GoPro Hero9 for 24 hours, delivery of the United Nations Passport of Val Thorens (treasure hunt). Take advantage of these extras by registering for free at Club Val Thorens here. Club members will take part in weekly draws to live new experiences:
- Access for the Skating Rink: win your place to have fun on the ice. 5 sessions to be won each week.
- Live the life of a snow clearer: Yann has a most important mission, to guarantee you access to our beautiful resort. Discover the behind-the-scenes of snow removal in the resort by boarding our biggest machines (loader, snow plough, milling machine). Amateurs of mechanics, make yourself known! An experience to be won on days with heavy snowfalls (departure in the morning for 1 to 2 hours of experience).
- Live the life of a piste groomer: Ready to climb aboard a piste groomer when the slopes close for the day? Gilles and his team of piste groomer drivers will take you to discover the secrets of grooming Val Thorens’ ski slopes… Experience to be gained twice a week (duration 1h to 2h).
- Driving on ice: eager for speed? Become a co-driver on a snow-covered racing car and discover the sensations of driving on an icy circuit. Hang on! Only one session per week.
Discovery and learning, the Club Val Thorens team invites you to supervised sessions upon reservation:
- Visit of the ski lifts: discover the backstage of a ski lift station by being guided by our experts. Motors, cables, clamps, efforts; you will come out enriched! Register with Justine at the Club House for the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning visits. Only 6 places available per session.
- AVD initiation: are you new to the dangers of the mountains and the use of an avalanche victim detector? Edouard will present you the basics on these subjects on Tuesday morning. Contact him by email (email@example.com) in order to register for this discovery on Tuesday 9 February and 2 March. From 8 years old, limited to 6 people.
- GoPro Session: get closer to Justine, at the Club House, Place Caron, to sign up for our GoPro initiation. Handling, outdoor capture and video editing; you will discover the basics of this camera. Initiations on Wednesday 10 February and Wednesday 3 March in the morning, limited to 6 people.
- Market: Tuesdays and Thursdays, all day long (Place de l’Eglise)
CAR PARKS AND SHUTTLE BUSES
In order to facilitate snow clearance in the resort, car parks are compulsory. The P0 reception is openevery day: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 10 am to 5 pm; Friday from 10 am to 6 pm, Saturday from 8 am to 6 pm and Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm. The P1 reception will be open every Saturday during the school holidays, from 8 am to 6 pm.
The P0, P1 and P2D car parks are open for parking. They will be allocated to you according to availability, the size of your vehicle and your accommodation. Find all the information about parking in Val Thorens on our parking page.
Reminder: a long journey by car, during curfew hours, must be covered by one of the derogatory reasons for the certificate. There is no valid reason for leaving or returning from your holiday by car, so make sure you make arrangements to reach Val Thorens before 6pm.
For people arriving outside the opening hours of the P0 or P1 reception and who have not reserved their parking space in advance, parking must be done in the Slalom car park (with parking meter) until they can reach one of our 3 car parks (P0, P1 or P2D).
2 free shuttles will be available:
- A resort shuttle: it will operate one rotation per hour from 9.30 am to 5.50 pm (map to download here).
- A Belleville valley shuttle: it will operate 3 times a day (except on Saturdays).
- From Saint-Martin-de-Belleville: 9.15 am, 1.15 pm and 4.15 pm
- From Val Thorens: 10.15 am 14.15 pm and 17.15 pm
- See details of the stops here
SHOPS & RESTAURANTS
- Carrefour Montagne Caron: open every day from 8am to 6pm.
- Sherpa Péclet: open every day from 8.30am to 12.30pm and from 2.30pm to 6pm.
Find the list of all the shops open here.
In order to make your stay easier, some of our restaurateurs have set up the click&collect, in compliance with sanitary rules.
Discover the list of our restaurants open for takeaway sales.
Opening hours of the Tourist Office
The Tourist Office is open every day from 9 am to 5.30 pm.
- Pharmacy: open every day from 10am to 12.30pm and from 3.30pm to 6pm.
- Telephone: 04 79 00 02 72
- Medical Centre: open Monday to Friday from 9am to 11pm and from 3pm to 5pm without appointment.
- Telephone : 04 79 00 00 37
More information on open health services here.