WHAT TO DO IN VAL THORENS FOR CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR?
VAL THORENS WELCOMES YOU FOR CHRISTMASAND NEW YEAR’S EVE
Last update on December 18 2020
Despite the closure of the ski lifts, come and enjoy the great outdoors in Val Tho!
On this page you will find all the information relating to your stay: accommodation, restaurants and shops open as well as outdoor activities accessible in compliance with health regulations.
Everyone in the resort is mobilised to make sure you enjoy the festive season!
THE SKI LIFTS
During the Christmas and New Year holidays, the ski lifts will be closed to skiers and pedestrians, with the exception of the Castor and Pollux carpet (Place Caron).
This carpet is open every day from December 19th to January 3rd from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm.
Please note: the Castor et Pollux carpet is forbidden to skiers, even with skis in hand, it is only reserved for pedestrians and tobogganers.
We will keep you informed of the situation on this page.
We are ready to open our ski area as soon possible, while respecting the sanitary conditions.
From 15 December, several activities are on offer.
The activities to be practised independently:
Ski touring: a 4.8km, 820m d+ ski touring trail is marked and groomed with a start at the Rond-Point des Pistes at 2280m and an arrival at 3100m at the top of the Col chairlift. The ascent is via the green slope “Combe de Thorens”, the blue slope “Génépi” and then the red slope “Col”. The descent is via two groomed and secured slopes: Col (red slope) then Moraine (blue slope). Open every day depending on the weather conditions.
- Cross-country skiing: a 3km cross-country skiing track will be marked out at the start of the Rond-Point des Pistes. See the route.
- Tobogganing: 3 toboggan runs will be accessible.
- La piste aux étoiles, starting from Place Caron (along the Castor et Pollux magic carpet, open to pedestrians only)
- La grenouillère at the start of the Rond-Point des Pistes
- L’Espace neige du téléphérique (Place Caron)
- Mountain biking: La Montagnette trail will be accessible to mountain bikes.
- Snowshoes: our footpaths (see below) are authorised for snowshoes
- Footpaths: 2 footpaths will be accessible on foot or with snowshoes.
- La Montagnette (starting from Les Balcons district)
- La Marine (from Chalet Cosmojet)
- Ski touring: initiations and ski touring outings are proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville, La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne and Prosneige, ESF, Evolution 2, Ski Cool, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Cross-country skiing: courses are proposed by La Maison des Guides et de la Montagne and by ESF, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- High Mountain: off-piste ski outings are proposed by La Maison des Guides et de la Montagne and Oxygène.
- Splitboard: private lessons are proposed by ESF, Ski Cool and Oxygène.
- Snowskate: private lessons are proposed by ESF and Ski Cool.
- Snowshoe outings: proposed by Raquette Nature, La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne and by Prosneige, ESF, Evolution 2, Ski Cool, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Children’s and beginners’ ski lessons: proposed by the Prosneige, ESF, Ski Cool, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor ski schools.
- Children’s and beginners’ snowboard lessons: proposed by Prosneige, ESF, Oxygène, ESI Ski Family and Val Thorens Ski Instructor.
- Telemark: group or private lessons proposed by Oxygène.
- Skating rink: the skating rink will be open every day from 10am to 12pm and from 1:30pm to 5pm. Activity from 3 years old. More information here.
- Ice driving: karting, buggy and ice driving are proposed on the Alain Prost ice circuit.
- Big Airbag: a free airbag along the Fahrenheit Seven hotel will be supervised by the Sports Club. Open daily depending on weather conditions.
- Avalanche Victim Search Workshop: activity proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville (location: Rond-Point des Pistes. You must have your own equipment), La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne (equipment provided), Ski Cool, Prosneige, ESF and Oxygène.
- Nivology training: activity proposed by Le Bureau des Guides des Belleville and Oxygène ski school.
- Sled dogs: activity proposed by Evolution 2, from 2 years old.
- Ice diving: activity proposed by Evolution 2 at the Lac du Lou (without respiratory equipment dur to Covid-19)
- Electric mountain bike ride: activity proposed by Evolution 2
- Paragliding: activity proposed by Evolution 2 and Oxygène
- Ice climbing: activity proposed by Evolution 2, Oxygène and La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne.
- Children’s snowshoe hiking and igloo building workshop: activity proposed by Prosneige and La Maison des Guides et de La Montagne.
- igloo building workshop: activity proposed by Prosneige
- Children’s courses: activities for children proposed by Evolution 2, every afternoon from 2pm to 4.30pm (sled dogs, trapper, snow skate, VTTAE, snowboard initiation…).
- Kids Club by ESF: snow games, cooking and manual activities. Schedule of activities here.
- Kids Club by Prosneige: mini Olympics, snowshoe hiking and igloo creation, lazer biathlon, mini airboard slalom and sledges, ARVA research.
Experiences of the Val Thorens Club
Visit Justine and Edouard at the Val Thorens Club place Caron, tell them what you want to do to make your stay a delightful one! Loan of the latest GoPro Hero9 for 24 hours, delivery of the United Nations Passport of Val Thorens (treasure hunt). Take advantage of these extras by registering for free at Club Val Thorens here. Club members will take part in weekly draws to live new experiences:
- Access for the Skating Rink: win your place to have fun on the ice. 5 sessions to be won each week.
- Live the life of a snow clearer: Yann has a most important mission, to guarantee you access to our beautiful resort. Discover the behind-the-scenes of snow removal in the resort by boarding our biggest machines (loader, snow plough, milling machine). Amateurs of mechanics, make yourself known! An experience to be won on days with heavy snowfalls (departure in the morning for 1 to 2 hours of experience).
- Father Christmas Walk on December 24th: young and old alike will have the chance to meet Father Christmas as he wanders through the resort (with respect to social distancing).
- Christmas Masses: 30 people maximum, wearing a mask and hydroalcoholic gel at the entrance.
- Val Thorens: 24th December at 6pm at the Church of Val Thorens
- Les Menuires: 25 December at 6 pm, Salle M. Romanet
- Saint-Martin-de-Belleville: December 24th at 7.30pm at the Saint-Martin gymnasium and December 25th at 6pm at the Saint-Martin church
- Free ESF animations: Snowscoot, lazer shooting, Yooner, off-piste safety and Snow Skate (see detailed planning here, registration at the ESF office in Val Thorens).
CAR PARKS AND SHUTTLE BUSES
In order to facilitate snow clearance in the resort, car parks are compulsory. The P0 reception is open every day from 10am to 6pm and from 9am to 8pm on Saturdays.
The P0, P1 and P2D car parks are open for parking. They will be allocated to you according to availability, the size of your vehicle and your accommodation. Find all the information about parking in Val Thorens on our parking page.
Reminder: a long journey by car, during curfew hours, must be covered by one of the derogatory reasons for the certificate. There is no valid reason for leaving or returning from your holiday by car, so make sure you make arrangements to reach Val Thorens before 8pm.
2 free shuttles will be available during the Christmas holidays:
- A resort shuttle: it will operate one rotation per hour from 9.30 am to 6 pm (map to download here). In operation from 19 December to 2 January.
- A Belleville valley shuttle: it will operate 3 times a day (except on Saturdays from 20/12 to 1/01).
- From Saint-Martin-de-Belleville: 9.15 am, 1.15 pm and 4.15 pm
- From Val Thorens: 10.15 am 14.15 pm and 17.15 pm
- See details of the stops here
SHOPS & RESTAURANTS
- Carrefour Montagne Caron: open every day from 8am to 8pm.
- Sherpa Péclet: open every day from 8.30am to 12.30pm and from 4pm to 8pm.
Find the list of all the shops open here.
In order to make your stay easier, some of our restaurateurs have set up the click&collect, in compliance with sanitary rules.
Discover the list of our restaurants open for takeaway sales.
Opening hours of the Tourist Office
The Tourist Office is open every day from 9.30am to 12.15pm and from 2pm to 5.30pm.
- Pharmacy: open every day from 19 December, from 10am to 12.15pm and from 4pm to 7pm.
- Telephone: 04 79 00 02 72
- Medical Centre: open Monday to Friday from 10am to 12pm and from 4pm to 6pm without appointment.
- Telephone : 04 79 00 00 37
More information on open health services here.